Friday, September 25, 2009

Poster Trends: Attack of the Floating Heads (part V)

This next one, I call the Ring variation:



This could technically be a sub-variation of the Totem Pole design I mentioned previously. Though, unlike the Totem Poles, this variation is most often used for movies with an ensemble cast where no single cast member trumps another too much, in terms of star power. Looking at that Urban Legend poster, you can see that there are ways to make this variation one of the more visually interesting Floating Heads variations. The "broken glass" thing is kind of cool, if not at all original. But then you look at that Much Ado About Nothing poster and... well, that might just be one of the worst posters I've ever seen.

I don't know about you, but I've had enough. There are a few more Floating Head variations I've noticed, but let's save that for another day. Maybe. I mean, aside from analyzing the choice of font and color scheme, there's not a whole lot to read into when you look at a Floating Heads poster.

When Poster Trends returns, I'll be analyzing one of my all time favorite designs: That "Saul Bass" Look - a style I'd best describe as the complete opposite of the Floating Heads. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment